As my favorite TV character, Moira Rose proclaims, it’s my favorite season of all: awards season! Here in Wisconsin, we are in the midst of a very long and grey winter, and all of us on the podcast team are finding an escape through the movies.
Recently we found ourselves talking about our favorite films, some of which were nominated for Oscars and some we wish were. Our conversation wandered into benefits, as it often does. So for this episode of Talking Benefits, we’ll explore the benefit ties (however tenuous they may be) to Downton Abbey, Little Women, Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story, Marriage Story, and my personal favorite, Hustlers.
You may be wondering what on earth these movies, especially the period films, have to do with benefits. Fear not! Our hosts will find the ties and dive into a plethora of your favorite benefit topics including:
- Phased Retirement—Its pros, cons and contractual implications
- Transportation Benefits—How a sometimes overlooked benefit can attract a workforce in a tight labor market
- Interdepartmental Teams—Leadership options outside of a job hierarchy can be a powerful growth initiative.
- Fraud Prevention—Dependent eligibility audits can be a life- (or plan) saver, as well as a tool for monitoring plan expenses.
- Health Coverage—During a qualifying event like divorce, how do COBRA, ACA exchanges or other plans coordinate?
- Qualified Medical Child Support Orders (QMCSOs)—How these work in coordination with the plan
- Qualified Domestic Relation Orders (QDROs)—Their impact on DC and DB plans
- Military Benefits—How the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) works and other ways organizations can help service members and their families.
Discover how this mystery unravels with Benefits on the Big Screen, the latest episode of Talking Benefits.
[Register Now: Certificate Series | March 2-7, 2020 | Austin, Texas]
We love to hear from Talking Benefits listeners!
Take our short listener survey so we can hear what you think about the podcast and what you’d like us to cover in future episodes. You’ll be entered for a chance to win a $10 Amazon gift card just for filling out the survey.
Don’t miss a single episode!
Subscribe to Talking Benefits on iTunes, Stitcher or wherever you get your podcasts for automatic updates as new episodes are released, or watch for new episodes on the International Foundation website.
Stacy Van Alstyne
Communications Director at the International Foundation
The latest from Word on Benefits: