The International Foundation recently surveyed employers and plan sponsors about benefit communication for an upcoming report (watch for it soon—called Trends in Benefit Open Enrollment and Communication), and tons of responses came in about going virtual for open enrollment this year in light of the coronavirus pandemic. We thought a Talking Benefits episode addressing this topic was in order!
Communication is critical whether open enrollment is happening face-to-face or virtually, so the podcast team reviewed some important reminders plus best practices we’ve been hearing from our members on what’s working effectively for them this season.
Here are a few things you’ll learn from tuning into this episode:
- The importance of using empathy to guide benefit communications this year
- How to frame the conversation about any new plan design changes
- Tips for keeping employees interested during virtual presentations
- How communication channels may differ this year
- Holding face-to-face open enrollment meetings safely.
We decided that open enrollment can be what you make of it, whether in-person or virtual this year. Maybe 2020 will spur some new creative approaches that shape how open enrollment is conducted in the future.
Visit the International Foundation Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources page to find helpful information to navigate your organization through the pandemic.
Don’t miss a single episode!
Subscribe to Talking Benefits on iTunes, Stitcher or wherever you get your podcasts for automatic updates as new episodes are released, or watch for new episodes on the International Foundation website.
We love to hear from Talking Benefits listeners!
Take our short listener survey so we can hear what you think about the podcast and what you’d like us to cover in future episodes. You’ll be entered for a chance to win a $10 Amazon gift card just for filling out the survey.
Communications Associate at the International Foundation
The latest from Word on Benefits:
- Set—and Measure—Specific Goals to Improve Your Investments in DEI
- SECURE Act Guidance: What DC Plan Sponsors Need to Know
- How Have Women Been Challenged During the COVID-19 Pandemic?
- What Sparks Joy? Building Resilience in Your Workforce
- New Report: Impact of COVID-19 on Pensions and Benefits in Canada