Making sure employees and their families stay healthy and safe includes acknowledging the anxiety and stress that comes with travel, explained Dr. Amit Arwindekar, North American Medical Director at United HealthCare Global, in the March 11 webcast Coronavirus and International Business Travel: What Employers Need to Know. Even if your employees may not be directly impacted by business travel, be it international or domestic, they may be experiencing tension, fear and stress about coronavirus or COVID-19.
Employers and their globally mobile employees should know that travel restrictions differ by country and are changing frequently. Various disruptions may occur for employees returning from restricted areas.
Watch the webcast on-demand now (free to International Foundation and International Society members) to learn more, including:
- How employees can protect themselves from coronavirus
- The steps employees can take if they think they might have symptoms of COVID-19
- The issues that could arise if an employee with symptoms needs to be medically transported across borders
- How to build an emergency response plan
- How to support employees and families during difficult times.
In the webcast, Dr. Arwindekar also explained some common responses to stressful situations like the current coronavirus outbreak. Employees and their family members may feel shocked and overwhelmed. They may find it hard to focus, concentrate or make decisions. Some may feel physical stress like headaches, dizziness and nausea. Employers can support employees through open communication about mental health.
Employers can help their workforce by reminding employees to:
- Ask for help
- Talk to others about thoughts and feelings
- Identify supportive and helpful people
- Focus on feelings and acknowledge feelings as they occur. Self-awareness is an important first step in learning to manage feelings.
- Contact the Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
[On-Demand Webcast: Coronavirus in the Workplace: U.S. Regulatory Considerations]
Learn More About Coronavirus and International Business Travel
Watch the full webcast Coronavirus and International Business Travel: What Employers Need to Know. It’s available on-demand and is free to International Foundation and International Society members.
For additional information on coronavirus and the workplace, visit these resources:
- The International Foundation Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources page
- Related reading from Word on Benefits:
- Law Enacted to Enable Free Coronavirus Testing and Expand Paid Leave: Families First Coronavirus Response Act
- Free Member Webcasts:
- Coronavirus in the Workplace: U.S. Regulatory Considerations | Available on Demand
- Coronavirus and International Business Travel: What Employers Need to Know | Available on Demand
Jenny Lucey, CEBS
Manager, Reference/Research Services at the International Foundation
The latest from Word on Benefits: